Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Ross University Thus Far...

Hello my followers! It has been a crazy first two weeks, but one that I have enjoyed thus far.

To update everyone: first medical school exam was yesterday, got an 85%, so things are starting off in the right direction ! I learned a lot about my study habits, and the fact that I actually don't like group studying at all, I love colour coding (obviously), and there is such a thing called "over-studying". I learned that this journey is very unpredictable, but doable. I learned that making study friends is sometimes better than talking friends, because you actually sit and get through stuff! haha But in all seriousness, this journey will be extremely tough, and when every exam comes and goes, it is a nice feeling that I am getting that much closer to obtaining my M.D.!

The island life of Dominica is gorgeous, and the blogs that I have tried to find about Ross University before coming here really didn't touch on all the little things that make it great. One of the biggest things that I was worried about was safety, because we are uprooting ourselves, moving pretty far away from home, and plotting ourselves in the middle of the Caribbean at medical school. The one thing that I love about RUSM is the fact that security patrols the streets at all hours of the night. They have well-equipped trucks, and there are about two at every gate into campus. I wouldn't say that Ross is situated in a "dangerous" area, but I would definitely not walk home alone at night. We are still in a foreign country, and the locals know that we are not from here. The people are super sweet and the bread lady that sits outside of campus with delicious home-made bread will always make you smile. The coconut water/juice man with his trolly walking in front of the "shacks" every day will always make the time to stop and chat with you, and the locals that work at the gym will ALWAYS comment on how tall you are..ok..maybe that's just me haha

When you come to Dominica to go to school, vacation, honey-moon or what have you, it really is beautiful. Depending on how much studying I get done this weekend, a couple of us are going hiking to see this wonderful country that we live on. I always encourage travel. Yes, go home on every break is you absolutely have to, but when will you ever be this close LIVING near South America, Trinidad and Tobago, Martinique, Guadeloupe, St. Kitts, there are so many amazing islands to explore and this is your chance to see the world! We are going home at Christmas for two weeks and then back to the grind after visiting our families, but we will be staying during the breaks to enjoy some travel!

Well guys, I have to start studying this morning and even though we just had an exam yesterday, the work begins again today. Message me with ANY questions and follow me on instagram @d1todr !

Bye for now,

--E xo

Pictures:

Where I study :)

My grandparents watching my White Coat Ceremony from home!

Oh how I wish I had my long hair again :(

Hopefully going to be doing this this wknd!

Love him!

2 comments:

  1. Wow thank you so much for this blog. I'm looking to apply there but I've heard not so positive reviews on SDN for any Caribbean school but its nice to see someone that is going there and doing well. What is the attrition rate? Do a lot of people fail out? Are you worried about matching?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! I am happy this blog brought you some insight to Ross as there was very limited blogs that touched on the positives of this school. Ross is actually legit..and I'm not just saying that because I go here. If you don't study..you will fail...as in any med school. So there are ppl that fail, I think we had 40 people fail 1st semester out of 270..so its not terrible. All professors are from top universities in the U.S, UK, etc. And in the end, they all want you to succeed. I am not worried about matching at all, at the end of the day, it is all about your step 1 score and step 2 cs and ck...no matter what school you attend, and by the stats...Ross is up there percentage wise with every single US school. I am happy I'm here :) hope that helped!

      Delete