Friday, February 5, 2016

Hello Semester 3X is RIGHT!

Hello my long lost blog followers! I am so sorry that I have not been able to write in such a long period of time. The struggle is real in second year of medical school. Let me give you a quick summary of my last month, it surely has been busy:

1.) Started Semester 3X. The "X" means accelerated, so I am completing my foundation of medicine courses in four semesters instead of it stretched over five.

2.) I am the Founder and President of RUSM Sports Medicine Club on campus. It has been busy, but it also has been a lot of fun. We held an anatomy review for the first semester practical, officially announced our big event "The Sports Combine" where we test true fitness and crown the "Fittest At Ross". We are previewing a movie shared with the Neuroscience Club on campus called "Concussion" and are having a panel filled with students and professors to talk about helmet safety and concussion prevention. Attending Grange Nursing Home where we help with bedridden patients and limited mobility patients, getting them up and moving, even if it's wiggling their toes! We have more planned, which makes me excited for this semester!

3.) I just completed another panel webinar with the MERP program. Where I dialed in and talked about my experiences with the program, answered questions, and talked with faculty. It truly is an amazing program so if you are reading this and are unsure of that next step...DO IT.

4.) My first mini went well, I got an 87% which I am happy about. Ross JUST changed their grading policy to where you need at least a 60% in all disciplines before being able to pass. A lot of people are not happy with that change, but it does mimic the NBME and makes us more prepared all around for the USMLE Step 1. (already terrified for that exam in October this year).

5.) I have been the busiest that I have ever been, and the most tired...but I am happy. After the long days, I truly have to dig deep to keep pushing. After watching lectures, making my notes, highlighting (everything), and active listening from 9am-4pm for most days, then to be able to get back to studying for the night is TOUGH.

6.) What no other upper semester told me was the fact that you have time in 3rd. Today is the last day of lectures for our mini exam, and our exam is a week from today. Don't get my wrong, I need a full 6 days to cover this vast amount of material, but it is nice that Ross understands that we need that time to study.

Everything so far, is managaeble, medical school as a whole is manageable. You just have to really want it. You can have an hour or two of being bogged down, not feeling it, or just that feeling of true "what the heck did I get myself into" feeling, but you have to see how amazing the future is going to be. Having your own practice, traveling and doing international medicine, helping those in need, and conquering the massive amounts of exams that lay ahead of us. I always think to myself, there are a ton of physicians in this world (but still not enough), and when times get tough, I know that it can't be impossible. There are too many physicians for it to be unattainable, and when you set your mind that "you can do this", positive thinking does go a very long way.

Off to listen to my first lecture of the day, thankfully we only have three hours today, yay!

Keep the questions coming, keep the comments coming, and just know I am always here to help in any way that I can!

Bye for now,

-E xo

As usual:

Our beautiful logo done by my talented friend, Julia!

My tutoring certificate :)

Happy birthday to my second oldest sis!

11 years with this guy!

Study day yesterday.

Domi doesn't like studying either.

She is such a character.

Laurenie, our PR person, signing people up for The Sports Combine!

Batibou Beach! xo










5 comments:

  1. Hi. I really enjoy reading your blog. I have a few questions. I'm starting with the may class. Since you're doing the accelerated program its may 2015-aug 2016 correct? so does that make you class of of 2018 or 2019? how long post august do you have to take step 1? start clinicals? why are there 6 clinical terms? are there any research opportunities or changes to take elective courses on the island?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I am happy you enjoy my blog, thank you so much for commenting! Congrats on your enrollment in May, I will see you on the island! Ok let me answer your questions:

      1) My expected graduation date is projected to be May . There are SO many factors that play into your graduation date though. You have to pass COMP (the cumulative final you will have at the end of your 4th semester-you have 3 tries), there are 7 (SEVEN) start dates to IMF in Miramar so some people travel or take a break and start the 2nd IMF iteration. I personally think you should start right away. You start date for clinicals is different depending on your state you wish to do that in, etc. So they say keep an open mind with your graduation date. (I am still planning on 2019)
      2) I will finish on island on Aug 19th (my comp sit date) then I will take step 1 mid Oct. (about 8 weeks). I will then start November IMF. Then I will start core clinicals in Jan 2017. I will then be in the U.S for 2 years doing my core and elective rotations. Does that help??
      3) I am not sure what "6 clinical terms" mean? I haven't heard of anything like that. I just know that your core clinical are 42 weeks, and then you have elective rotations which are another 42 weeks. (roughly 2 years)
      4) Definitely research opportunities here! I am thinking of doing a research project next semester, so I can update you on how that is going when you are on island..or if you want to jump in on my research you are more than welcome to!
      5) I hope this helps!

      --Em

      Delete
  2. Hey,
    Congrats on making deans list!
    Not sure why my original post shows up as unknown.This was very helpful. Do you use the step 1 book alongside your courses?
    Also do you happen to know if there are any reputable vets on he island? and easy access to pet supplies?
    I would love to hear about your research..and possibly tag along.

    Kemi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! So sorry that I am just replying now, third semester is no joke! I finally have time this morning to sit down and respond :)

      Thank you for the congrats! Dean's List is a lot of hard work, but if you want it, it is definitely doable. I try and annotate my Step 1 book alongside Ross material, but it takes a conscious effort. Annotating takes a lot of time, and if you have it-great, but if not, get through Ross material first. You will have plenty of time (apprx 8 weeks) to get through the step 1 book for the big exam.

      There are about 4 really good vets here, and one vet tech who pretty much does everything a vet does. His name is Bryan and he comes right to your home, which is really nice. Pet supplies...not so much. Food for sure, but toys, etc, is hard to come by.

      My research is going to involve the brain! So I will make sure to update you !

      Delete
  3. Hey I'm going to be in 3x in May, do you have any suggestions for any must-have-textbooks for this semester?

    ReplyDelete