Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Yes, You CAN Do It.

Hey everyone! I know...you are probably thinking: "What?! Two posts in one month?" That is right my friends, I actually have time to do another post! This past week in Semester 3X we have had some time "off" from lectures, and the reason I say "off" is that we are all still studying (somewhat). This is the week that Semester 03 (which is curriculum) is learning renal physiology from Semester 2. The curriculum track is based on five semesters, so they learn material at different times than 3X. While they are learning renal physiology, 3X has some time to catch up on our 130 drugs that are being tested on our next exam. 130! Yikes! Wish me luck :)

This past week I have gotten a lot accomplished. I have finished my Service Learning Activity, which is a requirement for all students to finish before they can leave the island. The due date is in your last semester in the 10th week of classes, but they say to get it done as soon as you can. It adds 5% to your current semester you complete it in, so with 3rd semester being quite tough, I have decided to complete it this weekend. Our RUSM Sports Medicine Club organized a trip to Grange Nursing Home, which is about 15 minutes from campus. There were eight residents that we got to do functional exercises with, and believe me, it was much needed. It broke my heart to see that they didn't have any shoes, that their shirts were dirty, and that they bathed in cold water, as the home does not own a hot water heater. One resident was 104 years old, and she is a feisty little thing. I heard that Dominica was one of the few countries that have the most people over 100, I definitely believe it. One of our members had an amazing idea to use balloons as a means of getting the residents to use their arms and legs. Such a great idea! We were able to facilitate many exercises with having them try and catch the balloon, and using their legs and feet to kick it as well. We will definitely be going to back to visit and as a donation our club will be giving items like gloves, soaps, bed pads, etc to the nurses that desperately need them.

I also applied to Ross University's Scholarship this past weekend, where I had to write an essay. 16 scholarships of 3,000 are handed out to students under DeVry's Education umbrella. This includes many schools in the Caribbean and the U.S. I will keep you guys updated if I receive and award! *fingers crossed*. That being said, Ross University School of Medicine's facebook page also re-shared two of my instagram posts. I would like to quickly say thank you to Ross and "Hello!" to all of our new followers and people on instagram; writing this blog has truly given me an avenue to talk to so many amazing people. I absolutely love the emails, comments, and likes, because it lets me know that you guys care and that you are venturing off to medical school and confide in me for help. So, thank you.

I also got to attend a Canadian seminar where we talked with recent on-island students who have written their Step 1 and are now finishing up IMF, which is the next stage after the island. A quick 6 week introduction to hone our clinical skills before venturing off into the hospitals. I am grateful that Ross does this, as it will set you up nicely for core rotations that are completed over 42 weeks. We talked a lot about Step studying, Comp (the cumulative final you write before leaving the island), NBME final exams (which you have at the end of 3rd and 4th semester-yay), and that it is possible to do well. I am not sure if I was tired from studying from our last mini, or that I am lost with these couple days off that I over-think and do not know what to do with myself, but I got in such a weird mood. These past two nights I have gone to bed worrying "can I do this", "can I do well on the step 1", and for those that follow my blog posts and instagram pictures you are probably saying: "yes, Emma, you have gotten Dean's List the past two semesters, you have created a brand new club on campus, and you have maintained a high average". But to be honest, that is such a great accomplishment and I am happy, but it is how well you do on Step 1 that matters for residency. Stephen has been great in being supportive and letting me be in my own bubble at times, because it is scary. You can do all this work for two years and then be stuck. I do not want that.

Then I got to thinking..."Emma...C'mon"
Then I answered out loud: "What?"
My inner voice: "You do not push yourself every day, every night, every weekend, to not pass. You do not move to an island away from family and friends and then have nothing to show for it. You just don't. You have it in you to do well, and you have proved that time and time again."
Me: *sigh* "Ok"
Inner voice: "So stop being grumpy, stop over-thinking, and keep doing what you are doing."

Ok, yes I do talk to myself sometimes, ok? haha. I just had to clear my head, go to bed early, and wake up and remember why I am here. It is hard. No doubt aboot it (in a hard Canadian accent). Medical school is hard, but it is so worth it. The struggle is worth it and your time is worth it. Yes, you CAN do it.

Off to annotate my First Aid Step 1 book, no point in worrying about that exam, might as well try and crush it!

Happy Wednesday everyone!

Bye for now,

-E xo

As always, pictures!
Our club at Grange Nursing Home

Abraham :)

Love this picture.

Happy to be going to another Dean's List Ceremony on Feb 26th!

Our Club's big event this semester!! 

Catamaran ride!

My girl!

Love these girls!

Love him too! :) 
















3 comments:

  1. Your very own commitment to getting the message throughout came to be rather powerful and have consistently enabled employees just like me to arrive at their desired goals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. medical assembly jobs-Looking for a Medical Assembly job? assemblyjobs is currently hiring for a Medical Assembly & Warehouse Associate position in Toronto.

    ReplyDelete
  3. INSTANT AFFORDABLE PERSONAL/BUSINESS/HOME/INVESTMENT LOAN OFFER WITHOUT COST/STRESS CONTACT US TODAY VIA Call/Text +1(415)630-7138 Whatsapp +19292227023 Email drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    We are financial consultants providing reliable loans to individuals and funding for business, home and projects start up. Are you tired of seeking loans or are you in any financial mess. Do you have a low credit score, and you will find it difficult to get loans from banks and other financial institutions? then worry no more for we are the solution to your financial misfortune. we offer all types of loan ranging from $5,000.00 to $533,000,000.00USD with a low interest rate of 2% and loan duration of 1 to 35 years to pay back the loan secure and unsecured. Are you losing sleep at nights worrying how to get a Legit Loan Lender? Contact us via Call/Text +1(415)630-7138 Email drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    Do you have a bad credit? Do you need money to pay bills? Do you need loan to buy, refinance or renovate your home? Is it necessary to start a new business? Do you have an unfinished project due to poor funding? Do you need money to invest in any specialty that will benefit you? DR.BENJAMIN FINANCIER LOANS aims is to provide excellent professional financial services which include the followings

    * Personal loan * Business loan
    * Home loan * Farm Loan
    * Education loan * Debt consolidation loan
    * Truck Loan * Car Loan
    * Refinery Loan
    * Equipment Loan
    * Hotels Loan
    * Refinancing Loan

    Yours Faithfully
    Dr Benjamin Scarlett Owen
    Whatsapp +19292227023
    Call/Text +1(415)630-7138
    NOTE: GET YOUR INSTANT LOAN APPROVAL 100% GUARANTEED TODAY NO MATTER YOUR CREDIT SCORE. drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete